There are many reasons why people have a fear of going to the dentist, so much so that they ignore the fact that they must visit the dentist if they wish to keep their teeth. These people may find that a sedation dentist in Mount Prospect can help them overcome their fear and anxiety. There are different types of sedation that the dentist can use for everything from lengthy, complex procedures to a simple, straightforward tooth cleaning.
What is sedation dentistry?
A sedation dentist in Mount Prospect provides his or her patients with a sedative that will help them to relax during their time in the chair. Although it is also called “sleep” dentistry this is not really accurate as patients remain awake during the procedure, unless the dentist is putting you under using general anesthesia which is rarely the case.
There are three levels of sedation that the dentist will typically use:
* Minimal: you are awake but completely relaxed
* Moderate: You are awake, you may slur should you try to speak and you will not remember what happened
* Deep: You are right at the edge of sleep but you can be easily awakened
Different types of sedation:
* Oral sedation: Your sedation dentist in Mount prospect will give you a tablet or a liquid about an hour prior to the beginning of the procedure. You will stay awake but you will be relaxed and free of anxiety.
* Nitrous Oxide: This is what dentists call “laughing gas.” This is perhaps the most common form of sedation. Once again, you will not be asleep but you will be completely relaxed, it is safe and can be used even when the dentist employs a local anesthesia near the site where he or she is working.
* IV sedation: This process involves injecting the sedative into a vein. You will remain awake but you will not be aware of what the dentist is doing. There is a recovery period involved so this must be taken into account.
Sedation dentistry is safe and you can be assured that your dentist will be monitoring your vital signs during the dental procedure.
A sedation dentist in Mount Prospect is the ideal professional if you are anxious or nervous about going to the dentist. You are invited to make an appointment with James Kakos, DDS.
1 person likes this post.