Come to Finger Lakes School of Massage (FLSM) and open the door to a new career path brimming with possibility. FLSM offers a robust program of massage courses in Ithaca, NY, including a vast array of both traditional Western approaches to massage therapy, as well as modalities based in Eastern healing practices. Professional education at FLSM provides hands-on training and real-world experience within this wide spectrum of approaches to massage therapy.
This diversity in training creates an extensive skill-set which gives you versatility – the ability to approach each issue with a number of different techniques. Having many ways to handle problem resolution ensures marketability and career longevity, making you highly sought after within the job market.
Popular Types of Massage:
The concept of massage therapy brings many images to mind, with relaxation and healing at the top of the list. You might be surprised to know that there are numerous therapeutic techniques used to achieve the restorative effects for which therapeutic massage is famous.
Sound interesting? Read on for a brief review of just a few of the most popular types of massage offered within FLSM massage courses in Ithaca:
1. Swedish Massage Therapy: A vital part of the foundation of therapeutic massage and one of the primary FLSM massage courses in Ithaca. Swedish massage is intended to increase oxygen in the blood and remove toxins from the muscles. This is accomplished through a variety of techniques that apply pressure to surface muscles with movements that follow the direction of blood flow to the heart. The result is improved circulation, reduced stress, relaxed muscles, greater flexibility and improved overall health and wellness.
2. Aromatherapy Massage: A centuries-old practice of adding essential oils to massage oil or cream to heighten the healing effect of bodywork. Students learn the therapeutic properties of a wide range of essential oils and how to combine those essential oils with massage creams to ‘stack the deck for success’ toward a particular healing outcome. Essential oil education is an integral part of the FLSM massage courses in Ithaca. This skill gives students a vital healing tool that complements massage and places them in the spotlight of public interest in aromatherapy.
3. Shiatsu: A deeply relaxing and revitalizing Eastern healing practice that originated in Japan. This therapy is traditionally offered on a comfortable, cushioned mat positioned on the floor. Students who take FLSM massage courses in Ithaca learn a variety of Shiatsu techniques which apply specific pressure to key areas on the body, releasing tight muscles, stored tension, and promoting the free flow of energy through the channels or meridians of the body.
4. Sports Massage: This modality is used to achieve a specific goal when working with an athlete. It includes the focused application of massage techniques, hydrotherapy (the application of heat and cold), facilitated range of motion and flexibility exercises. FLSM massage courses in Ithaca include sports massage techniques to assist the athlete in preparing for an event, coming back into physical balance after event completion, supporting the process of injury recovery and promoting maximum muscle health between events.
5. Pregnancy Massage: Expectant mothers love massage designed to address their special needs. Pregnancy places increased stress on specific muscle groups, often leaving the mother-to-be coping with daily pain or discomfort. Pregnancy massage can relieve those aches and pains, as well as promoting better sleep. The techniques offered within the FLSM pregnancy massage courses in Ithaca provide the student with a variety of methods and approaches, including how best to position the expectant mother for maximum comfort during the session, and a great selection of massage skills designed to banish the bodily stress and tension associated with pregnancy.
Take the Next Step in Your Healing Journey: Massage Courses in Ithaca
Interested in learning more about massage? Then you are ready to embark upon the journey of a lifetime. Immersion into the FLSM massage courses in Ithaca is also a step further onto your own healing path. Imagine committing to learning and experiencing, first-hand, everything described above and more. Picture the like-minded mentors, teachers and fellow students you’ll meet along the way. See yourself unfolding in new directions.
If you are interested in making massage therapy your next career step, Finger Lakes School of Massage can provide you with the expert guidance and professional training you need. Schedule a tour and see the diversity of FLSM massage courses in Ithaca in action.
Be the first to like.