Pregnancy is a wonderful, exciting and emotional time. However, is it OK to visit the dentist for Teeth Cleaning in Beaumont TX? The answer is, “Yes.” Taking good care of your teeth and gums is very important during a pregnancy. The hormonal changes actually increase the risk of developing gum disease, a bacterial infection which could affect the health of a developing baby.
These tips can help you to maintain good oral health and protect your wonderful smile before, during and after the pregnancy.
Are You Trying to Get Pregnant?
Make an appointment with your dentist. A thorough dental exam would discover any potential problems that should be treated before becoming pregnant. Your teeth can be cleaned professionally, removing stains and plaque and tartar, which contribute to tooth decay and gum disease.
Dental Care While You’re Pregnant
* Always let your dentist know that you’re pregnant.
* The good news is it’s OK to have routine dental care at any time. Any emergency procedure can also be performed. However, always discuss any proposed dental work with your obstetrician in the event that there are any special instructions or considerations.
* All elective dental procedures should be postponed until after the birth of the baby.
* Give the dentist a list of all medications and supplements, with the names and dosages.
* Dental X-rays are normally permissible during any stage of the pregnancy, as today’s X-rays are much safer than in the past. Your dentist will be extremely cautious about protecting both you and the baby. The abdomen and thyroid will be carefully shielded.
* If you have a scheduled dental checkup, don’t skip it simply because of the pregnancy. Gums become tender and can bleed easily, a condition known as pregnancy gingivitis. Throughout the pregnancy, pay particular attention to any gum swelling, bleeding or tenderness. Notify your dentist if this occurs.
* Continue with regular brushing, flossing and other good oral hygiene practices.
* If brushing teeth becomes a problem, try a bland-tasting toothpaste. The hygienist or dentist should be able to recommend brands that have helped others.
* Rinse mouth frequently with water or a mouth rinse.
After the Birth
After delivery, visit the dentist for an exam and to treat any problems.
The Beaumont Smile Center is the place to go for a wide range of dental issues, including Teeth Cleaning in Beaumont TX. You can read more info here and contact the office for an appointment.
Be the first to like.