Keeping your senior loved ones healthy doesn’t just involve making sure they have the proper medicines or treatment. It also means looking after their emotional well-being. The elderly can easily succumb to depression, especially if they live alone. If you want to make sure your elderly loved ones’ emotional needs are met, then getting them a companion can be the ideal solution.
Finding the Right One
If you haven’t got time to take your loved ones to the cinema or to an event, no worries. You can hire senior companion services to make sure they don’t miss anything. If you want to find the right one, here are five handy steps to keep in mind:
1. Ask friends and families for referrals, the American Association of Retired Persons or AARP suggests. You could also post a bulletin where you work, go to church or attend events at the local recreation center. You could also run an ad.
2. Create a job description. Share it with your applicants so they know what to expect from the job, what their responsibilities are, and to help them decide if they want to apply for the position or not. For instance, the rate or hours might not work.
3. Decide on your budget. Know how much you’ll want to pay for the service beforehand. This way, you’ll have a clear financial goal when you start the interview process.
4. Do personal interviews, says Helpguide. Never hire someone sight unseen, no matter how busy your schedule is. Take the time to make sure you’re hiring the right companion for your loved ones. This is also the perfect time to ask any personal questions to help you get a gauge on what their personality is like.
5. Always check references. There’s nothing scarier than finding your out your loved one has been maltreated or abused in any way. With the number of seniors being abused by in many living assisted facilities, it’s only right that you take extra measures to make sure you’re hiring professionals who show nothing but dedication, compassion and efficiency in the way they work.
So start making the arrangements. By ensuring your elderly loved ones are well able to attend events or take part in activities with a companion, they can enjoy themselves without you worrying about them being alone. Their packed calendar will also help to stave off feelings of loneliness or depression.
Capital City Nurses offers home care services so your elderly loved ones have the care and help they need. To book our services, call us. You can also follow them on Twitter for more updates.
1 person likes this post.